SCIC prides itself in creating communities of compassion among people of different faiths and cultures. This is accomplished in a three prongs approach: Service, Education, Celebration.
- Interfaith Build with Habitat for Humanity
- Interfaith Build Days with Habitat for Humanity are opportunities for members of the interfaith community to join together and build hope for those in need.
- Feeding the Homeless
- Every year the SCIC helps feed hundreds of people together as an interfaith community.
- Long Beach Religious Leaders Association (LBRLA) Meeting
- These monthly gatherings bring religious leaders together on a monthly basis to talk about issues that are facing our society and how we can better serve those in our interfaith communities.
- CROP Hunger Walks
- These yearly charity walks bring people together from the interfaith community to raise money to fight hunger in our local, national and international communities.
- SCIC Beach Clean Up
- Understanding that we all have a moral responsibility to take care of our earth, the SCIC participates in monthly beach clean ups throughout the summer months.
- Peninsula Interfaith Luncheons
- Monthly lunch gatherings focusing on the important issues facing our interfaith community.
- Special Programs and Workshops
- SCIC is honored to have a dynamic Board of Directors that includes clergy, lay people, teachers, professors, chaplains as well as physicians. They too offer beneficial programs utilizing their background and professions, such as Cancer Awareness & Prevention workshops, movie screenings and community discussions on matters of importance.
- Religion 101 Series & Seminars
- Through the SCIC Religion 101 series, the historical origins, central teachings, and devotional practices of the major religious traditions Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, Catholicism, Mormonism, Zoroastrian, Islam, Baha’i and Sikhism are considered in relation to common themes of human experience: the holy or sacred, evil and suffering, goodness and joy, love, compassion, and wisdom. Additionally, the SCIC organizes educational seminars at faith communities and educations institutions focusing on educating the people about the various faith traditions. It is a response to many of our community members who tell us that they want to know the basics of the great religions of the world, but don’t have time to study them in depth.
- SCIC Interfaith Days
- In conjunction with individual faith communities, the SCIC develops worship services of the faith communities by brining together a panel representing three individuals from different faith traditions (such as Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism) to offer a service around a central these such as compassion, love or forgiveness. Individuals participating are asked to speak on the topic from their personal faith perspectives allowing for those in the community to learn about the beliefs, practices and principles of different faiths.
- Heart to Heart: Connecting with the Divine
- The “Heart to Heart: Connecting to the Divine” program of the SCIC is an opportunity for members of the interfaith community to come and observe and/or partake in the worship service of another faith community outside of one’s own.
- SCIC Interfaith Cafes
- Interfaith Cafés are small group discussions for all members of the interfaith community and religious leaders about how faith both impacts their daily lives and allows them to relate to and appreciate those from other faith traditions. We play a game called “We Believe 2” created by Rev. Duane Moret for SCIC and it aids in faith discussion. After about 30 minutes of the game we break for refreshments and when we come back we are given a sheet with questions for each member to answer.
We do this to foster greater understanding about different faith traditions, inform the community about the work of SCIC and encourage greater participation in opportunities of serving others.
- Catholic- Muslim Dialogue
- SCIC Speakers Bureau
- 60th Anniversary Gala
- Cooking with the Cantor
- An evening of enjoyment and education learning about the Jewish culture with delicious food.
- Divine Dining & Faithful Feasts
- An evening of celebrating different faiths and cultures through food, song and poetry.
- Festival of Music Benefit Concert
- An annual celebration of different cultures and faith through music. Members of the interfaith and intercultural community who have excelled in social justice advocacy are honored during this concert.
- Interfaith Unity Awards Dinner
- An annual interfaith and intercultural dinner brining together the community and honoring four individuals who excel in cultivating interfaith unity and peace.
- Dr. Martin Luther King Interfaith Celebration
- An annual gathering of the interfaith community honoring the legacy of the beloved Dr. King.
- Interfaith Unity Bike-a-thon
- The Interfaith Unity Bike-a-Thon brings together people of many different cultures and faiths to enjoy a day of social bicycling, comraderie and great food. Donations help to support the South Coast Interfaith Council and its supporting organizations.
- Intercultural Celebration
- Annual Assembly
- A yearly business meeting and gathering of the interfaith community.